Oakland County Dementia Care
Bloomfield Hills, MI Dementia Care
About Our Award-winning Dementia Care Services
Dementia care refers to the specialized support and assistance provided to individuals living with dementia, a progressive neurological condition that affects memory, thinking, behavior, and the ability to perform everyday tasks. Dementia care aims to enhance the quality of life for individuals with dementia by addressing their unique needs and challenges.
Dementia care involves a range of services and interventions tailored to meet the physical, emotional, and social needs of individuals with dementia.
Oakland County Dementia Care
What risks do seniors and family caregivers face without access to quality Dementia Care?
If an older relative with dementia does not receive appropriate dementia care services, several significant problems and challenges can arise, affecting both the individual with dementia and their caregivers. Here are some of the issues that can occur:
- Safety Concerns: Dementia can impair an individual’s judgment, memory, and cognitive abilities, leading to safety risks. Without appropriate care and supervision, individuals with dementia may be more susceptible to accidents, wandering, falls, and injuries.
- Decline in Cognitive Function: Dementia is a progressive condition, and cognitive decline can accelerate without proper care and support. Failure to engage in cognitive stimulation and memory-enhancing activities can lead to a more rapid deterioration in mental faculties
- Physical Health Complications: Individuals with dementia may have difficulty managing their physical health, including nutrition and hydration. They may eat or drink adequately with proper assistance, increasing the risk of malnutrition and dehydration.
Not sure what you need?
Call us and we will guide you through the process, beginning with a FREE virtual assessment!
Dementia Care Services For Oakland County Seniors
What are the benefits of Dementia Care?
Dementia Care Benefits
Dementia care services offer valuable support and benefits for older relatives with dementia and their primary caregivers.
For your older relative, these services provide specialized care tailored to the unique needs of individuals with dementia. Care providers are trained to understand the challenges associated with dementia, including memory loss, behavioral changes, and communication difficulties. They can offer the necessary support to promote your loved one’s well-being.
On the caregiver side, dementia care services provide much-needed respite and relief. Caring for a loved one with dementia can be emotionally and physically demanding, leading to caregiver stress and burnout. As the caregiver, access to respite care allows you to take necessary breaks, rest, and address your well-being, promoting better self-care.
Dementia care services are crucial in improving the quality of life for your older relative with dementia and you as the caregiver. They provide specialized care, safety, and emotional support for individuals with dementia while offering respite and relief to caregivers, reducing stress, and improving their well-being.
Accessing these services can contribute to a more positive and sustainable caregiving experience for all involved.
Dementia Care Frequently Asked Questions
What strategies can help manage challenging behaviors associated with dementia?
Several strategies can help manage challenging behaviors associated with dementia. Here are some commonly recommended approaches:
- Create a calm and structured environment: Ensure the environment is free from excessive noise, clutter, and distractions. Establish daily routines and maintain consistency in daily activities to provide a sense of security and familiarity.
- Practice effective communication: Use simple language, maintain eye contact, speak slowly and calmly, and give the person enough time to process information and respond. Non-verbal cues, such as gestures and facial expressions, can also be helpful.
- Provide reassurance and validation: Validate the person’s emotions and feelings, offering reassurance and comfort. Avoid arguing or correcting their perceptions, as it can escalate the situation.
What are the early signs and symptoms of dementia, and when should I seek professional help for a diagnosis?
Dementia is a progressive condition affecting memory, communication, and problem-solving skills. Early signs of dementia may include:
- Difficulty with planning, organizing, and completing tasks.
- Speaking in complete sentences.
- Understanding abstract concepts.
- Changes in judgment or decision-making.
- Problems with language understanding.
- Confusion about time and place.
- Recalling recent events.
If you notice these signs in yourself or a loved one, it is crucial to seek help as soon as possible.
How can I promote a safe and dementia-friendly home environment for my loved one?
One of the most important things you can do to promote a safe and dementia-friendly home environment is to understand your loved one’s needs and abilities. Knowing what activities they are comfortable with, how their behavior may change over time, and any areas that may be hazardous for them can help ensure their safety. It’s also helpful to create a daily schedule that includes activities that will help keep their mind occupied and engaged.
Ensuring the home environment is safe also means reducing any hazards that may cause falls or other accidents. Move furniture away from pathways, install handrails on stairs, and make sure all light switches and outlets are covered. Additionally, consider using motion sensor lighting in areas of the house where your loved one may spend time and install grab bars in the bathroom.
Finally, creating a dementia-friendly home environment means making sure your loved one has access to items that are easy for them to use and understand. Keep instructions short and straightforward, label household objects with pictures or symbols so they can easily recognize them, and store frequently used items in easy-to-access places. Having familiar things or photos of family and friends can help create a sense of comfort and familiarity for them in their home environment.
Our Award-Winning Oakland County Senior Care Solutions
Our holistic wellness program ensures your loved one thrives in every area of their life
Under the attentive eye of our experienced caregivers, your loved one will enjoy proper nutrition and hydration, daily exercises to maintain physical strength and mobility, as well as emotional support and social engagement.
Companion care, personal care, and social activities and support, all in the comfort and privacy of your home.
Our wellness program integrates into our In-Home Care services and focuses on five key areas to care for our client's minds, bodies, and souls while promoting their overall wellness and independence.
A holistic approach in planning and coordinating for the short and long term care needs of older adults.
Alzheimer's and Dementia Care with Certified Dementia Practitioners, as well as specialized programs for diabetes care, Parkinson's care, congestive heart failure, renal failure, and other chronic diseases.
Discharge Planning Services
Chronic Disease Management
Alzheimer’s and Dementia Care
Alliance Senior Care Awards & Associations
As a Home Care Pulse Trusted Provider, our clients have voted us Provider of Choice several years in a row
Our owners are leaders in the senior care industry, serving on the SCAN board and the Michigan chapter of the Aging Life Care Association. Our care professionals are certified by NAACM (National Academy of Certified Care Managers).
Dina Hurnevitch, Owner and Operator of Alliance Senior Care, discusses early signs of Dementia and Alzheimer's on ABC News.
Don't wait until it's too late. Call now to schedule a FREE, no-obligation, virtual assessment
After conducting our assessment, we'll create a custom whole-person home care plan based on your needs, schedule, personality, and lifestyle. Then, we'll use that info to match you with the perfect caregiver.
Contact Alliance Senior Care
Schedule a call
Visit Our Office
Oakland County, Macomb County, Wayne County, Bloomfield Twp, Bloomfield Hills, West Bloomfield, Birmingham, Novi, Livonia, Troy, Beverly Hills, Royal Oak
7 W Square Lake Rd, Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302