Ways to Combat Depression in Seniors during Thanksgiving and the Holidays
Depression is all too common in older adults. The Pandemic has heightened this situation causing higher levels of feelings of depression, isolation and suicide than prior years. It is estimated that over 6 Million adults over 65 suffer from clinical depression, but only 10% receive treatment.
Depression and feelings of loneliness can increase during the holiday season. This is a time of family, friends and memories of their younger days. They often remember a time when their home was filled with family, friends and now it is empty. These memories can also serve as a reminder of all of the loved ones and friends that have moved away or passed away.
Here are several ways to brighten the Holiday Season for Seniors, even though we may not be with them this year:
- Display holiday cards and greetings
- Set up decorations
- Plan holiday event outings. Drive through a display of Christmas lights.
- Play Christmas Music.
- Encourage them to donate presents or time. This provides a sense of purpose and usefulness.
- Reach out to them and talk to them.
- Setup a family video call on Zoom or other means. Designate one person to be with your loved-one to help them access the call. Share memories of Holidays Past
- Drop a present or special items at their door.
- Have a window visit and bring the kids and grandkids.
Alliance Senior Care’s In-Home services offer a wide range of services providing healthcare, daily living assistance, transportation to and from Doctor’s appointments and tailored care services for additional circumstances.
To learn more about how In-Home Care can help improve your loved ones’ quality of life, call Alliance Senior Care at 248-274-2170. It’s not just In-Home Care, it is Integrated Care.
Home Care Services are an excellent resource for family caregivers and seniors alike.
Alliance Senior Care Home Care services offer a wide range of services providing healthcare, daily living assistance, transportation to and from Doctor’s appointments and tailored care services for additional circumstances.